Severity Codes and Response Times
Severity Code Explanation
Severity 1 – “Critical” - Impacts multiple users and/or halts or severely impacts critical operations.
- Entire office is unable to access data from server.
- Entire office is unable to conduct critical office functions on the Internet (research, on-line order processing, e-mail).
- Multiple users unable to log in to the server.
- Multiple users report virus-infected files.
Severity 2 – “High” - Impacts an individual or a small group. Normal operations impaired, but can continue.
- Client can access software/Internet from another computer.
- Malfunctioning application is not critical to productivity.
- Viable work-around exists for non-functioning application.
Severity 3 – “Medium” - Minor impact to an individual or a small group. Service may be delayed until a mutually established future time.
- Intermittent lockup’s for an application or web browser.
- Software patches for required features or greater stability.
- Small changes to the computer network such as installing an application or adding a printer.
Severity 4 –"Low" - No impact to performance or functionality. Routine tasks or general information requests.
* This policy is subject to change based on industry best practices.